Farsight Security — Sr. Distributed Systems Engineer
job id: 2017-2
posted: April 2017
applications: email <firstname.lastname@example.org>
principals only, no recruiters
The Farsight business is increasingly reliant on technology, your role as a Sr. Distributed Systems Engineer (Sr.DSE) is crucial to the innovation, and integrations of technology that helps drive the ability of the organization to provide exceptional service to our customers.
As a Sr.DSE you will invent, design, prototype, construct, deploy and maintain cutting edge real-time telemetry platforms. You’ll collaborate with all departments, and at times with outside companies. A Sr.DSE is an experienced technologist and developer who can produce a range of capabilities spanning from rapid-prototype or proof-of-concept projects to high quality production-ready code. A Sr.DSE should be adept at finding the elegant solution to highly complex problems.
Your role is very important to the company’s success. The requirements and skills outlined below are not all inclusive of the role and responsibilities of your job.
- Collaborate with TechOps/Marketing/Office of CTO/Sales/QA to promote a smooth process from idea to product
- Security, including best practices for secure coding standards are top of mind on all development projects and processes
- Keep current with new technology
- Write complete and effective documentation for your projects
- Ensure that Farsight only produces the highest quality of code by acting as a peer reviewer and providing in-depth review along with detailed and thoughtful comments
- Support sales activities as a subject matter expert by way of customer calls (teleconference and in person), blog posts, presenting training, or giving presentations at industry conferences
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5+ years’ experience in information technology
- BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology or equivalent experience
- Innovative thinker, able to envision how technology can be implemented to solve challenges.
- Excellent communication, presentation, verbal and written skills
- Ability to Write and review expert level code in the following languages: C, Python
- Golang experience is a plus
- A working familiarity with some of the following: Cython, shell, m4, perl, ruby, php, C++, Erlang, asciidoc, docbook, doxygen, markdown
- Experience building packages in at least one Linux or BSD platform, e.g. Debian, RedHat, FreeBSD etc.
- Deep understanding of one or more standardized Internet protocols: DNS, BGP, SMTP, etc.
- Familiarity with and adherence to security best practices
- Self-starter with a high level of initiative, commitment and energy
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and organize work to meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- An ability to work with tight deadlines and within constraints
- Ability to understand the needs of the business and evaluate solutions to recommend to leadership
- Commitment to excellence for both internal and external customers
- Experience working with a distributed team and collaborating with co-workers in different time zones
- Ability to travel for conferences and meetings several times per year
- Demonstrate good attention to detail, good judgment showing logical decision making
- Experience in Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment environments is a plus
Farsight offers an intellectually-stimulating company environment. You’ll be working with very highly skilled and experienced colleagues. Farsight also prides itself on doing the right thing in the right way.
Farsight has a highly distributed technical workforce with teammates located across the US, Canada, and Europe.
Farsight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome applications from members of under-represented groups, the disabled, and veterans of the Armed Forces.
Submit a resume, via email to Farsight Security at email@example.com (principals only, no recruiters, please)