This position is no longer open
Farsight Security — Senior Distributed Systems Engineer
job id: 2017-9 posted: December 2017 applications: email <email@example.com> principals only, no recruiters
Farsight Security provides the world’s largest real-time actionable threat intelligence information on how the Internet is changing, seeing more than 200,000 DNS-related observations per second. Leveraging proprietary technology that was purpose-built to manage the volume of data and real-time analyses, Farsight provides security teams with the Internet’s view of an organization’s web presence and how it is changing, whether those changes were made purposely, inadvertently, or maliciously. The world’s most security conscious organizations use Farsight for their real-time threat intelligence information.
Farsight is headquartered in San Mateo, California. The company was co-founded by Paul Vixie and DNS pioneer Paul Mockapetris. Both of whom have been inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame.
We are looking for a Senior Distributed Systems Engineer (Sr.DSE) to add to our engineering team. This is a crucial role to drive growth and innovation of Farsight’s products and services. A Software Toolmaker is crucial to the innovation, and integrations of technology that helps drive the ability of the organization to provide exceptional service to our customers.
As a Sr.DSE you will invent, design, prototype, construct, deploy and maintain cutting edge real-time telemetry platforms. You’ll collaborate with all departments, and at times with outside companies. A Sr.DSE is an experienced technologist and developer who can produce a range of capabilities spanning from rapid-prototype or proof-of-concept projects to high quality production-ready code. A Sr.DSE should be adept at finding the elegant solution to highly complex problems.
Your role is very important to the company’s success. The requirements and skills outlined below are not all inclusive of the role and responsibilities of your job.
- Collaborate with TechOps/Marketing/Office of CTO/Sales/QA to promote a smooth process from idea to product
- Security, including best practices for secure coding standards are top of mind on all development projects and processes
- Keep current with new technology
- Write complete and effective documentation for your projects
- Ensure that Farsight only produces the highest quality of code by acting as a peer reviewer and providing in-depth review along with detailed and thoughtful comments
- Support sales activities as a subject matter expert by way of customer calls (teleconference and in person), blog posts, presenting training, or giving presentations at industry conferences
- 5+ years experience in information technology
- BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology or equivalent experience
- Innovative thinker, able to envision how technology can be implemented to solve challenges.
- Excellent communication, presentation, verbal and written skills
- Ability to Write and review expert level code in the following languages: C, Python
- Golang experience is a plus
- A working familiarity with some of the following: Cython, shell, m4, perl, ruby, php, C++, Erlang, asciidoc, docbook, doxygen, markdown
- Experience building packages in at least one Linux or BSD platform, e.g. Debian, RedHat, FreeBSD etc.
- Deep understanding of one or more standardized Internet protocols: DNS, BGP, SMTP, etc.
- Familiarity with and adherence to security best practices
- Self-starter with a high level of initiative, commitment and energy
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and organize work to meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- An ability to work with tight deadlines and within constraints
- Ability to understand the needs of the business and evaluate solutions to recommend to leadership
- Commitment to excellence for both internal and external customers
- Experience working with a distributed team and collaborating with co-workers in different time zones
- Ability to travel for conferences and meetings several times per year
- Demonstrate good attention to detail, good judgment showing logical decision making
- Experience in Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment environments is a plus
Farsight offers an intellectually stimulating company environment. You’ll be working with very highly skilled and experienced colleagues. Farsight also prides itself on doing the right thing in the right way.
Farsight has a highly distributed technical workforce with teammates located across the US, and Europe.
Submit a resume, via email to Farsight Security at firstname.lastname@example.org (principals only, no recruiters, please)